Saturday 31 December 2016

Kick-Ass (5 Stars)


Big girls don't cry. Nor do little girls.

This is the last film I watched in 2016. It's a good way to end the year. It's a brilliant film in so many different ways. It's not so much a parody of super-hero films, it's more of a deconstruction. I've never read the Kick-Ass comics, so I can't comment on how faithful the film is to the original source material. What I can say is that the way it copies and almost plagiarises Sam Raimi's first Spider-Man film is amazing. Scenes are subtly copied in passing, so subtly that the similarities could be missed on idle viewing.

This was the first film that I saw starring Chloe Grace Moretz. At the time it was a curiosity. A 12-year-old action heroine? So weird. Since then I've seen her in many other films as she's grown older, and I've observed her talent as an actress developing. Watching "Kick-Ass" again today I can recognise that she already had immense talent at an early age. I can hardly wait to see all the wonderful films she will make over the next 50 years.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.