Saturday 22 October 2016

The Mist (5 Stars)


This is my Halloween Challenge film #22. I can't believe I only gave it 4 stars last time I watched it. It's an incredible film. Maybe I deducted a star from the perfect rating because it doesn't have much of a plot. It's true, the story can be summed up in one sentence, but does it matter?

People are trapped in a food store while monsters try to break in from outside.

There, that's my summary. If that's not enough to make you want to watch it, the film's based on a short story by Stephen King, and it's directed by Frank Darabont, who also made "The Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile".


If you buy the film on disc you'll find that there are two versions, one in colour, one in black and white. Frank Darabont wanted to make the film in black and white, but the studios vetoed it, saying that modern audiences only want to see films in colour. For that reason he made the film in colour, but with sharp colour contrasts that made conversion into b/w easy. I've watched both versions, and I can strongly recommend the b/w version. That's the version that Frank Darabont recommends. That's his "Director's Cut".


In the food store David Drayton stares intensely at a newspaper, but decides not to buy it. Maybe he can't speak Latin. Click on the picture to enlarge it. The report on the storm begins with the words:

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh eusmod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat voluptate".

Cicero would turn in his grave. Sloppy.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.