Sunday 30 October 2016

Bikini Swamp Girl Massacre (2 Stars)


This is my Halloween Challenge film #30. I have to admit that I selected it because of its title. If I'd read a review first I would have known it's a Troma film and I would have watched something else.

I don't like Troma films. I've tried to understand them, and on a certain intellectual level I know what they're about, but I don't enjoy them. There are lots of films today made with poor acting, but they're the result of untalented actors trying to put on a good performance and failing. That's not what we have with Troma. No attempt is made to act. Lines are simply spoken in a way that it's obvious that it's a film, not reality. I see this as a type of alienation technique. The owners of Troma Entertainment, Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz, don't want their viewers to immerse themselves into a film and forget reality. They want the viewers to remember they're just watching a film, nothing more, nothing less.

Is this art? It depends on your definition of the word. I suppose it is, but it's not the sort of art I can relate to. The girls in the film are pretty, especially when they remove their clothes, but they're not actresses; they're just pretty girls speaking lines in front of a camera. I wasn't scared when they were attacked and chopped to death by the evil Indian Coowahchohee. No attempt was made to make the deaths look realistic. It was merely amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.