Sunday 17 January 2016

The Gift (2000) (5 Stars)


Once a month I have a film evening at my house. Usually it's the second Saturday on the month, but this month I had to do it a week later. This month I showed two films directed by Sam Raimi, "A Simple Plan" and "The Gift". "A Simple Plan" was highly praised by critics, but it was a box office flop. "The Gift" received poor reviews from film critics, but it was a financial success. I enjoy both films, but I prefer "The Gift". It's a film that I was fortunate enough to see in the cinema when it was released in 2001. I say fortunate because I rarely visited the cinema before I joined the Birmingham Film Club in 2013. In 2001 I lived next to a cinema for a few months and went often as a result. I walked past the cinema almost every day and looked at the film posters, which was enough to tempt me inside. I've always enjoyed films, but I didn't become a big film fan until 2003 when I bought my first DVD player. I had films on videotape before then, but it was a relatively small collection. Videotapes were so large and unwieldy, and the quality was less than perfect.

Next month my film evening will feature two lesser known Marvel films. I've already picked the films, and it's not a secret, but I'll only tell you what they are if you ask. Do any of my friends in Birmingham want to come to this event? I've set it up as a Facebook group, so that's the best way to contact me.

I shan't write much about the film now because it's only a few months since I last watched it. Click here for my review.

I've given the film a full five star rating. Do you agree with me? If not, please leave a comment and tell me why not. I love to hear from my readers, especially those who disagree with me. Sometimes, though not often, criticism can even make me change my mind. For instance, when I first reviewed "The Warrior" (the Korean film) I gave it 3 Stars and said that I didn't understand it. A friend of mine sat with me for an hour explaining it -- it's loosely based on a true story -- after which I watched it again and gave it 5 stars. I'm so thankful that she took the time for me. Not all my readers know me in person, but you can help me by posting your thoughts on a film in the comments section. I read and reply to all comments.

Feedback is essential to me. It might surprise you to hear that not everyone thinks the same way. A friend of mine has a film blog in which she rejects criticism. She allowed me to leave comments as long as I agreed with her, but deleted any comments in which I disagreed. I mentioned this in my post on "Bikini Time Machine" last month, but since then she's taken it a step further. Obviously I'm not the only one who sometimes has different opinions, because she's now blocked comments from everyone. I shall never do this. Please read my blog regularly and reply to my reviews in the comments section. I take every comment seriously, whatever you have to say. The world would be boring if we all thought the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.