Saturday 2 January 2016

Pusher 2 (3 Stars)


This is a difficult film for me to rate. On an intellectual level I can appreciate it as a well crafted gangster film, with an outstanding performance by Mads Mikkelsen as the incompetent crook Tonny, but I find the whole story too negative. It's not uplifting, it's a depressing film, like "Neds" which I watched earlier today.

The story continues where "Pusher" left off. Tonny is released from prison and wants to get back to work. His father gives him a job. His work is stealing luxury cars to be shipped to Russia. If this were all that Tonny is doing he would be okay. The problem is that he's doing drug deals on the side that plunge him into debt. In addition, he allies himself with one of his friends who is double-crossing his father.

It's a sick world. Nothing that we see in Copenhagen is pleasant. Tonny finds out that he fathered a child before he went into prison. The woman doesn't love Tonny, she wants to see as little of him as possible, she just wants him to pay her child support so that she can afford to buy cocaine.

I'm sure that many of my readers would rate this film higher, but it's not for me.

I was planning to watch "Pusher 3" immediately after this, but I need to pick something better, something that I know I'll enjoy. Let me go and look through my film collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.