Monday 16 November 2015

Falling Down (5 Stars)


30 films to watch before you die, #13

This film was made in1993, and I consider it to be Michael Douglas' best film. The poignancy of the role touches me every time I watch it. He plays William Foster, a good man who is no longer economically viable in today's society. He's also socially awkward, which leads to conflicts with his wife. She divorces him because she thinks he might become violent, despite the fact that he's never hit her or their daughter even once.

The ugly city of Los Angeles and the rejection by those he cares for most push him over the edge. He spirals downwards on a path of destruction. Despite all this he still loves his wife and daughter, and he's exasperated when the police detective accuses him of wanting to kill them. How can a good man be so misunderstood?

As I've pointed out in my previous posts – search for them in my alphabetical list – Michael Douglas reminds me of my father in this film. That's one of the reasons why I like it. But even if you don't have the same personal connection to the film you should watch it. It's a powerful drama about the disintegration of a man for no fault of his own. It's not an uplifting film, but it's one that you won't be able to forget.


The director Joel Schumacher has made many remarkable films during his career. You might want to watch:
  • Lost Boys (1987)
  • Phone Booth (2003) 
  • Number 23 (2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.