Thursday 26 November 2015

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (5 Stars)


30 films to watch before you die, #26

I need to write this down before I forget it.

This film was written by Charlie Kaufman. It was directed by Michel Gondry, but that's of lesser relevance. Films written by Charlie Kaufman have a distinctive style, whoever the director is. He enjoys a unique role in today's film culture. Most people who watch films can name the most popular actors. Serious film fans can name their favourite directors. But how many people can name screenwriters (not including the directors who write their own scripts)? I can only name one: Charlie Kaufman.


My memory is beginning to fade.

The film may have confused people when it was made. It stars Jim Carrey in the lead role, and at the time the film was released people still thought of him as a comedy actor, despite his serious roles in "The Truman Show" and "The Majestic". This led to the film being incorrectly labelled a comedy, even on the cover of the American DVD box. If anything, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" is the most serious role he has ever played. The only small hint of his humorous self is the way he gets stuck in train doors in the pre-opening credits sequence.


It's all getting so difficult to remember. Let me name another few films written by Charlie Kaufman before it's too late:

I'm sure there was something else I wanted to say. Let me check my notes, if I can remember where I put them.


I'm sorry, I can't remember what film I was writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.