Thursday 3 September 2015

Scream (5 Stars)


I decided to watch the Scream Trilogy again after hearing about Wes Craven's death on August 30th. This was a great shock to me. Many people connect his name with "Nightmare on Elm Street", but out of the Nightmare on Elm Street Heptalogy he only actually directed two films, the first and the sixth. For me his most important contribution to the horror genre, or rather to the history of film in general, is "Scream" and its sequels, all of which he directed.

"Scream" was the film which revived the teen slasher genre. Since it was made there have been many other teen slasher films, some better than others, but they all pay tribute to "Scream" in the sincerest possible way: by imitating it!

Looking back at my previous reviews, I think I've already said all the most important things there are to say about the film, especially in the review I wrote last year. I don't like to repeat myself, so please check it out.


The Scream films were written by Kevin Williamson, who is known for being the creator of the two hit television series "Dawson's Creek" and "The Vampire Diaries". Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson probably worked together as a team, but due to the age difference I see Wes as being Kevin's mentor. When "Scream" was made Kevin Williamson was 30, while Wes Craven was 56, so I can imagine Kevin looking up to Wes as a father figure.

There's something amusing in the credits at the end of the film. This is one of the reasons why it's worth watching film credits, as long as they don't scroll too fast. It's customary to give thanks to people and institutions who assist in the making of a film. Wes found it necessary to state his lack of thanks to the Santa Rosa City School District Governing Board because of their lack of assistance. They will always be remembered for this. I hope they feel appropriately ashamed.


Today I finally learnt how to make animated GIFs with Photoshop. This is my first attempt. It's Rose McGowan as Tatum going down to the cellar to fetch beer. It must have been cold down there. You can click the photo to start the animation. I hope you enjoy it.


How can a man as pleasant and likeable as this have made so many films in a genre like horror? He will be sorely missed by his fans throughout the world. Rest in Peace.

Wes Craven
August 2, 1939 – August 30, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.