Tuesday 13 August 2013

The Policewoman (4 Stars)


This is a gripping drama about a young woman called Anne who is new on the job as a policewoman. Before joining the police force she worked for five years as a postal worker, first delivering mail and then behind a counter. She decided to join the police because she cared about people. She went to police academy in her home town of Berlin, where she wished to stay, but now she finds herself posted to the area of Lütten-Klein in Rostock. It's an unglamorous city with high criminality. Anne soon becomes disillusioned when she realises that she can't make a difference. She has affairs with a petty thief and also with one of her married colleagues, both of which she regrets. But I'm already saying too much, I don't want to add spoilers.

I bought this film because so far I have enjoyed all the films I've seen directed by Andreas Dresen. I wasn't disappointed. If you enjoy gritty urban dramas set in eastern Germany, I can recommend this film without reservation. It's only been released in Germany, but it has English subtitles. It's also worth noting that the film, made in 2000, was the first major role for Axel Prahl, who plays Anne's colleague Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.