Tuesday 20 August 2013

Scott Pilgrim vs The World (4 Stars)


This film is a curiosity. It's difficult to pin it down to any particular genre. On some levels it seems to be a superhero film, but as I pointed out in my last review, it's about a person whose life is a video game. I haven't read the comics on which the film is based. Based on the synopsis on the Scott Pilgrim Wikipedia page it appears to closely follow the plot of the comics. Without reading the comics I don't know whether they also have the video game aspect to them.

My main problem with the film is that I don't understand why Scott would want to leave his girlfriend Knives for Ramona. Knives has such an attractive, bubbly personality, and she seems like a perfect match for Scott. Ramona, on the other hand, is quiet and broody. That's why I prefer the alternate ending that's included on the DVD. The official film ending follows the comics; Scott and Ramona live happily ever after. Sigh..... In the alternate ending Scott returns to Knives, with Ramona's blessing.


I'm very impressed with the artistic quality of all the films I've seen that were directed by Edgar Wright. Other examples are "Shaun of the Dead" and "World's End". He's already begun work on the new Marvel film, "Ant-Man". I expect great things from him in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.