Thursday 14 February 2013

High Anxiety (4 Stars)

This film is a parody of Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo", with frequent references to other Hitchcock films, such as "Spellbound", "Psycho", "North by Northwest" and "The Birds". The film is written, directed and produced by Mel Brooks, who also plays the leading role and sings the theme song.

Dr. Richard Thorndyke (Mel Brooks) takes over as the head of a mental asylum, after the previous head dies under mysterious circumstances. Dr. Thorndyke tries to unravel the mystery, but he is hampered by his fear of heights.

This is a departure from Mel Brooks' usual style, but nevertheless enjoyable. A treat for Hitchcock fans.

2 comments:

  1. Your reviews are getting shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next month they will be even shorter. Come on, Jilly, you've been reading my blog a long time. You should know by now that my reviews vary from a few words to a long essay, depending on my mood. Why don't you write a review for me? I'm still looking for new guest writers.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.