Saturday 22 December 2012

We are the night (5 Stars)


As my regular readers know, this blog isn't a film review site, technically speaking. It's my film diary. What I mean is, I tell my readers what films I watch, as I watch them, and I write about them. "So what's the difference?" Simple. If I watch a film twice I write about it twice. That's something a real review site wouldn't do. And that's relevant in this case. This is the third time I've watched this film since I started the blog in September 2010. I already reviewed it in March 2012 and October 2012.

I don't often watch a film spontaneously. Whenever I finish watching a DVD I put the next DVD next to my player. I already had a different film lying there ready to watch. And yet I picked this one. The reason is, yesterday I bought a new television. I bought an LG 42CS460, a 42" LCD flat screen. My first new television since December 2008. My old television, a 32" LCD screen, LG 32LG5020, still works fine, but I was in the mood for an upgrade. I wanted something bigger and better. I wanted to try it out by watching a film that I've watched recently, something that I know has a high quality picture, and I picked up "We are the night". Good choice. I love the film, and the television is great quality for its size.


The television cost me £289 from Richer Sounds in Birmingham. It's only slightly more expensive from other shops, for instance £299 from Argos, but I strongly advise my English readers to choose Richer Sounds. For those of you who don't know it, it's the best retailer for hifi and entertainment systems in England. That's not just an opinion, it's a fact, and anyone who looks at them objectively will agree. First of all, they're cheaper. They have a price guarantee, that they will beat any other price listed online. Not just match the price, they promise to beat it. Not that it's usually necessary, because they're already the cheapest for every article I know of. As well as this, look at the customer care deals, the "extended warranty". For 10% of the purchase price they offer a 5-year warranty, which includes the television being picked up from and returned to my home, and a replacement set being provided during the repairs. In this case I paid £28.85 for the extended warranty. Compare this with Argos. The television is only £10 more expensive, but the extended warranty only lasts for three years and costs £104.99. No comparison, is there? Apart from this, I have to say that my experience with the Richer Sounds staff has always been good. They all seem to know what they're talking about and give good advice. At other stores -- I almost named one I've been to, but I don't want to be sued for slander -- it's all about sales, getting the customer to buy the highest price article to earn the highest possible commission.

Apart from my televisions, over the years I've bought stereo systems, DVD and Blu-ray players, and accessories like cables and headphones from Richer Sounds. There's no reason to shop anywhere else. Please take my advice. You won't regret it.



Addendum on Monday, 1st June, 2015

Since I wrote this post, things have got even better at Richer Sounds. The five year extended guarantee is now FREE for all their televisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.