Monday 30 January 2012

Easter Parade (4 Stars)


This film was made in 1948. I've been through phases with the old Hollywood musicals. As a child I saw them on television and enjoyed them. When I grew older I thought of them as "old fashioned" and snubbed them. It wasn't "cool" or "in" to like old films. Now that I'm even older I'm more open minded. Older and wiser. Quality is quality, whether it's new or old. And this is quality. Fred Astaire is at his toe tapping best in this film.

The film is a love story. Don Hewes, played by Fred Astaire, is a successful dancing star who is devastated when his dancing partner leaves him to pursue a solo career. He claims he can make any other girl into a star, so he goes to a bar, sees Hannah Brown (played by Judy Garland) dancing, and makes her an offer to join him. For him it's just about business, but she falls in love with him.

But let's be honest. The plot doesn't matter. It's all about the dancing and the visual splendour. The cinema audiences in 1948 bought their tickets to see Fred Astaire and Judy Garland dance. They weren't disappointed. The spectacular dance numbers, especially Fred Astaire's solo dance in the toy shop, will mever be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.