Tuesday 11 October 2011

Real Steel [Guest Writer] (5 Stars)


 The Story: A future-set story where robot boxing is a popular sport and centered on a struggling promoter (Jackman) who thinks he's found a champion in a discarded robot. During his hopeful rise to the top, he also discovers he has an 11-year-old son who wants to know his father.


I just got finished watching this movie and my heart is still pounding with adrenaline and I'm not even a fan of boxing - mixed martial arts, the UFC, martial arts - but not boxing! This made me fall in love with boxing a little bit and I'm thankful for that because it was too exciting to describe but I'll try my best. Is the overall back-story premise original? Probably not. It reminds me of Rocky and that feel good American classic of triumph and redemption. This had the same backbone of such good-old-fashioned fun and excitement. It seems like producers feel they need to add sex, drugs and rock in roll to an action film to make it exciting and give it that punch but this does it without that. This is something that everyone, and I do mean everyone (from a 6 year old child to a 70 year old war vet that's seen it all) can find some enjoyment in which is one of the things I love about this film. Another thing that attracted me to this film was the fact that Hugh Jackman was a part of it and I love this actor probably more than many others because he always makes his parts so realistic and believable for me. I can believe his characters and in the beginning he made me want to hate him and beat the crap out of him when I normally just want to jump his bones. Toward the end he had redeemed himself which I'm glad to see and I ended up leaving this film satisfied, exhilarated, excited to take on the world, and so much more. Jackman's co-star, his young son played by Dakota Goyo, really took me by surprise with his great acting. He seemed to fit next to the veteran and highly-acclaimed actor well and held his own without fading in the background or becoming some needless window decoration so I say kudos to him. I look forward to seeing him in more upcoming films and see how he grows in talent because he has some quality skills. I HIGHLY recommend this movie to anyone and everyone that wants a good old-fashioned movie that gives you that feeling of excitement, accomplishment and satisfaction and I have no negative criticism about this movie whatsoever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.