Tuesday 4 October 2011

Machete (5 Stars)


Have you ever seen a film that you've loved from the very first minute? This is one. Right from the opening scenes I knew it would be a great film, and I wasn't disappointed. Over the top violence, nurses in mini-skirts, nuns with guns. This film has it all! In general it's a serious film, but I couldn't help laughing when I saw the bouncing cars driving into battle.

A brief synopsis: a Mexican labourer is hired to assassinate a politician who wants to stop illegal immigration. When he's about to pull the trigger he realises he's been set up; the assassination attempt is just a fraud to win sympathy for the politician. After this he goes on the run, pursued by corrupt government officials who want to silence him.

The actors slot perfectly into their respective roles. Even Stephen Segal, who I've never particularly liked, is ideal as a katana wielding Mexican drug lord. I can't fault the film at all.

1 comment:

  1. Hm, after learning that Robert De Niro and Michelle Rodriguez is in this movie I may have to check it out although I shudder in horror at the idea of seeing Lindsay on film and throwing Stephen Segal in the mix doesn't make any of it much better to stomach. When I saw the previews and the way the movie seemed to be shot with the over the top special effects to the point of almost being comical I wasn't too keen on seeing it but then again I didn't know De Niro was in it. Unfortunately, despite your 5 stars, I sort of fear that not even Robert can save this film for me. But I'll go ahead and give it a peek to see what the big fuss is about. If it doesn't live up to that 5 star rating I'll be sure to come back and ream you out for that. [Grins]

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.