Saturday 20 November 2010

Please Sir (4 Stars)

This is a film spin-off of the popular British comedy series "Please Sir", that originally ran from 1968 to 1972. While this is doubtless of the same quality as other britcoms of the 1970's, it's never become popular in America, where people usually rave about British comedy. Maybe it's because British schools are so different that Americans can't relate. Not sure.

However, I'm reviewing the film, not the tv series. The children of class 5C (ages 15-16) go on a school trip to a remote country village. While an entertaining story, I prefer to see the kids in their classrooms in London.

On another note, I admit that I had a crush on the actress Liz Gebhardt when I was in my young teens. Admittedly she wasn't as pretty as most of the girls in the class, but I found her naive innocence appealing. She was actually a lot older than me, because she was still playing a 15-year-old into her late twenties. I say "was" because she died of cancer in 1999. It's difficult to find a good photo of her. I'll make a screenshot when I review the series itself.

Liz Gebhardt
12 April 1945 – 10 August 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.