Sunday 10 October 2010

TV Series: Highlander the Raven


How many of you remember this tv series from the late 90's? It was a Highlander spin-off that only lasted one season, running from 1998 to 1999. Instead of Duncan Macleod it follows the adventures of the 1200-year-old immortal Amanda Montrose.

It started shakily, the writers having trouble finding a direction for the first few episodes, but after two months they did the best thing they could have done: instead of trying to be "different" the series was put into the style of the original Highlander series. Okay, I'll admit that it never quite hit the heights of the fourth and fifth seasons of the original series, but it continually presented episodes that were a match for the second and third seasons. And it was far better than the awful sixth season.

If you've never seen this series, give it a try. It's recently been released in Germany for the first time as a PAL box set -- the Germans have always been the biggest Highlander fans -- and the American box set can still be bought from Amazon for less than $20.

2 comments:

  1. O my god! I so remember this series....! My best friend was/is a MAJOR Highlander fan, so of course she (and I with her) watched this series. Agree entirely with the shaky start - Raven didn't seem like well Raven, who had appeared in several episodes of the original tv series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Highlander, the original series, is one of the best tv series ever. I won't say too much here, because I intend to write a large post on the whole Highlander franchise, films and tv, in the near future. Its ups and its downs. Never has a franchise soared so high or plummeted so low. I feel tempted to ritually burn my copy of "Highlander: The Source".

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.