Sunday 31 October 2010

Cannibal Women in the Avacado Jungle of Death (3 Stars)

A film with a name like this sounds like it has the makings of becoming a cult classic. Seeing Shannon Tweeds's photo on the cover promises sultry erotic scenes in steamy jungle settings. Adrienne Barbeau as well? Then it has to be good. Any B-Movie fan like myself has to be trembling with expectation.

Unfortunately, the film fails to deliver. The most action and eroticism the film has too offer is in the first five minutes, when two lost American soldiers are killed while watching naked women bathing. After that the film settles into dullness, and Shannon Tweed (who is incidentally the wife of Kiss's Gene Simmons) keeps her clothes buttoned up throughout the film. The whole point of the film seems to be to make fun of feminism, but after the first half hour of feminist jokes I was screaming "Enough". The film has so many missed chances. I've read a lot of good reviews of this film, but I can't agree with them, even as a Shannon Tweed fan. Watch her other films, not this one.

7 comments:

  1. I do love the bizarre fantasy angle - that the vast majority of the world's avocado supply comes from a huge jungle in southern California. The "Avocado Jungle of Death" was actually the Botanical Gardens at the University of California, Riverside. We used to hang out there. With Shannon covered up, the big appeal for us was spotting familiar locations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly remember this film. I need to watch it again.

      California? So you're an American after all?

      Delete
  2. I don't know how re-watchable it really is these days. My main affections for it were the locations and the Director. J.D. Athens was actually John Lawton, whom i went to high school with in California. His father was involved with UCR and he used that connection to get filming access in the botanical gardens. A few years later he got his big break, writing Pretty Woman and went on from there.
    He altered modern television programming with his series V.I.P., which used and credited contemporary music in the soundtrack. Unheard of at the time, a standard now.

    Okay, i'm rambling.
    I stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing "V.I.P" on television. I used to watch it regularly, but I've never seen it since. It was deliciously campy.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. What are you apologising for? Being American? There's no need for it. There are good people and bad people everywhere. There are a lot of anti-American sentiments in Europe, but Americans can't be blamed for their politicians. They can't even be blamed for voting for them, because they only have two parties to choose from. I find the German political system much healthier: six parties in the government, ranging from extreme Communist to far right. I don't approve of the extremist parties, but at least people can choose.

      Delete
  4. Given the damage my country has done on a global scale in recent times, it often feels like there is a need.
    And, yes - our political system is a joke designed to limit freedom. And that was before the Republicans abandoned factual reality. How much choice does one have when only one party lives in the real world?

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.