Thursday 23 November 2017

The Mad Monk (3 Stars)


A tale of Gods and demons. This is a film made in Hong Kong in 1993. I suspect that I would have understood it better if I were more knowledgeable about Chinese mythology. I couldn't distinguish which characters in the film are based on Chinese legends and which were added for comic effect.

In Heaven the Gods complain to the Jade Emperor about the poor conduct of Dragon Fighter Lohan, a lower ranking God. They say that he's unworthy of having reached Nirvana and want him to be sent back to Earth to be reincarnated as an animal. The Goddess of Mercy intervenes and sets Lohan a task to prove his worthiness. He is to be sent to Earth as a human, with the full knowledge of his Godhood but none of his divine powers. Within three days he must change the lives of three people, a beggar, a prostitute and a villain. All three are destined to remain in their current positions for their next nine lives, but he must rehabilitate them so that they can be reborn in a higher state.

As if that task isn't difficult in itself, Lohan discovers that the villain has pledged his service to the evil God Heh Lo Sha, who wants to walk the Earth and prevent anyone being reincarnated ever again.

The film confused me from beginning to end. The comedy is on the level of slapstick, but there are serious messages behind it. Parts of the film are visually disgusting, such as the beggar having a body that's covered with contagious boils. Nasty.

I can't imagine that I'll watch this film again. Maybe if a Chinese friend wants to sit with me and give me a running commentary of what's happening I'll reconsider.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.