Sunday 24 September 2017

Bound (5 Stars)


It's difficult to believe that when I first watched "Bound" seven years ago I hardly knew Jennifer Tilly. Now I'm her number one fan. I mean that in a good way, of course. I'm not about to go Annie Wilkes on her. I admire her because she's a wonderful actress, she's beautiful, and she's highly intelligent.

In "Bound" Jennifer Tilly plays Violet, a young woman who's the girlfriend of Caesar, a man who works for the Chicago Mafia. His name is deceptive. He's not a crime boss, he's just a small man in a big organisation. The ex-convict Corky (Gina Gershon) moves into the apartment next door. There's an immediate physical attraction, and the two women begin an affair. Maybe the relationship isn't quite so spontaneous. Violet has a plan, and she needs a partner. Caesar has a suitcase with two million dollars which is going to be picked up by the Mafia boss. Violet wants the money for herself, so she can run away and make a new start. She has no prior experience in crime, so she's willing to share the money with Corky.


Even though she was never a criminal, Violet is pure evil. She's willing to kill any number of men to get what she wants. Through it all she projects an image of naive innocence. It's not just Jennifer Tilly's acting skill. She's been blessed with a voice that sounds like a young girl, which sounds so disarming when she plays a bad character.


I can't end this review without mentioning Joe Pantoliano's performance as Caesar. I've only ever seen him in a few roles, but it's enough to convince me that he's a magnificent actor. He's best in roles like this, where he plays a character who is slightly deranged.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.