Thursday 24 August 2017

Passion (3 Stars)


I only gave this film three stars when I watched it three years ago, but I thought I would watch it again. I don't usually rewatch three-star films, but I thought I might have judged it unfairly. After all, no film with Karoline Herfurth can be that disappointing, can it?

Unfortunately, yes, it is. I almost felt tempted to lower the rating this time round, but I'll be generous.

Something is seriously wrong with the film, and it's difficult to say what it is. It had a budget of $25 million, but the end result looks as cheap as a low budget television movie.

Noomi Rapace and Karoline Herfurth are two of the best actresses alive today, but based on the evidence of this film you wouldn't think so. They deliver their lines woodenly without a shred of emotion. When Karoline says "I love you" her face looks as blank as if she's saying "You forgot to put sugar in my coffee". Even when a tear runs down Noomi's cheek her face looks blank, as if she just remembered she has to buy a Lotto ticket after work.

The soundtrack contributes to the cheapness of the film. It's little more than orchestral elevator music thrown in at random intervals in an attempt to highlight the suspense that isn't there.


Karoline Herfurth is Germany's best actress, but she needs to do better than this if she wants to make a breakthrough into the American market.


This is a beautiful picture of Noomi Rapace looking through a door, but it doesn't make up for the film's weaknesses.


When you see this screenshot of Rachel McAdams you might expect a steamy, erotic film. You'll be disappointed. You'll find more eroticism in "Titanic".


Noomi and Karoline share a passionate kiss.


"Did you enjoy that, darling?"

The film is about women who live in the superficial world of the advertising industry. They work in high paying jobs, they wear the best clothes and they go to parties where they exchange meaningless small talk. There's no problem with that. A film can reveal the shallowness of society and still be a deep, meaningful film. What disturbs me is that the film itself is superficial. If I described the plot to you it would sound like a good film, but it got derailed along the way.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

2 comments:

  1. I live this side. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I don't understand you. What do you mean?

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.