Saturday 18 June 2016

I love you, Phillip Morris (4 Stars)


"Did I forget to mention I'm gay? Yeah, I'm gay. Gay, gay, gay, gay, gay. I have been as long as I can remember".

This is the amazing true story of Steven Jay Russell, the con man who became famous for escaping from prison four times, more often than anyone else in America. Two of his escapes were from maximum security prisons. His most spectacular escape was by faking his own death. He might still be walking free today, if not for his love for Phillip Morris. Whenever he escaped he headed straight to Phillip's house, which is where the police were waiting for him. Love makes the smartest of men do crazy things.

He's now serving a 144 year prison sentence in Texas. He's locked in his cell 23 hours a day, and he's only allowed out to shower and exercise under strict supervision. This is unique in America's prisons. Normally only murderers and other violent criminals are dealt with so harshly. No other criminal who has only committed fraud is treated like this. After the experiences in the past this is deemed necessary, because it's the only way to be sure that he won't escape again.


What do children see when they look at the clouds?


Is that cloud a bat?


What about that cloud? It's a dog's head.


I have no idea what this cloud looks like.


On a general note, I'm surprised to see that all three of my recent James Bond film reviews are in the list of my 10 most popular posts. That's today, June 19th. If you're reading this post next month or next year they might no longer be in the list, which is shown on the right. All three of the films feature Pierce Brosnan. I'm not sure whether this is because of a general interest in James Bond or in Pierce Brosnan himself. Currently "The world is not enough" is in fifth place, "Tomorrow never dies" is eighth, and "Die another day" is ninth. Only "GoldenEye" isn't listed, although I remember that it spent a few weeks in my top 10 after I wrote the review in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.