Wednesday 16 March 2016

Anomalisa (4¼ Stars)


Michael Stone is a customer service expert who is scheduled to make a speech at a sales convention in Cincinatti. He has a problem. Everyone in his life sounds the same to him. The voices of everyone in his life, male or female, even his own family members, sound identical. In his hotel he meets a plain-looking woman called Lisa who sounds different to everyone else. He falls in love with her and decides to leave his wife to be with her.

This is a fascinating parable about inter-personal relationships from the brilliant mind of Charlie Kaufman. Tragic and comic scenes are seamlessly woven together. After watching "Anomalisa" today my main impression was of being overwhelmed by a film with such depth of meaning that I was incapable of taking it all in. This is a film that needs repeated viewing before I can make a detailed analysis. On the other hand, I've watched "Adaptation" many times over and I'm still no closer to writing a full psycho-analytical analysis. Let's see how successful I can be with "Anomalisa" after a few viewings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.