Thursday 6 November 2014

Horns (3½ Stars)


People say you should do the right thing, but sometimes there is no right thing, so you have to pick a sin you can live with.

This is a low key black comedy. It starts off the same way as "Gone Girl". Ignatius Perrish's girlfriend Merrin has been killed, and he is the main suspect, hounded by television crews and neighbours. That's where the similarity between the two films ends. In "Gone Girl" the main character is motivated by the desire to clear his name, whereas Ignatius is consumed by a desire for revenge. He wants to kill whoever has taken his girlfriend from him. His negative emotions pull him over to the dark side. Horns sprout from his head, and he begins to have a profound effect on the people around him. His friends and acquaintances reveal their evil tendencies that they usually keep hidden. It's not that they have become evil, the evil was always there, but they lose their self control and let it out. As well as that, Ignatius finds that when he suggests evil deeds to people they do them.

As Ignatius continues his investigations into his girlfriend's death his appearance becomes ever darker. Snakes accompany him wherever he goes. On the one hand he's shocked by the evil forces overwhelming him, but he's prepared to use them in his quest for revenge.

It isn't really a horror film. It's not scary. The demonic aspects of the film made me laugh. It's difficult to say whether I enjoyed it or not. It wasn't at all what I expected. I expected more horror, or at least more suspense. The film is a curiosity that I need to see again before I make my mind up. The one thing that I can say for certain is that I'm very impressed by Daniel Radcliffe's acting abilities. I expected him to disappear after the Harry Potter films, but now it looks like he'll be with us for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.