Sunday 8 June 2014

Material Girls (2 Stars)


Ava and Tanzie Marchetta are two spoilt little rich girls in their late teens. Their father made millions by founding a cosmetics company. He died a few years ago, but they are still living off his wealth and partying every night. The company is being run by an administrator while they model the products. They're approached by the administrator and advised to sell the company for $200 million. They can have half each, which will be enough to support their party life for years. Then a scandal about one of the company's products breaks out which wipes out the girls' cash. They're forced to do primitive things like ride a bus. Ugh! Worse still, the company's stock price falls, and it's only worth $120 million. Horrified at the prospect of having to live the rest of their life with only $60 million each, they fight to prove the facts behind the scandal.

I know the film is intended as a comedy, but the two girls, played by the real life sisters Hilary and Haylie Duff, are so unpleasant that it's impossible to sympathise with them. When their luck ran out I didn't shed a tear for them, I just wished they would lose more. I've never had the misfortune to meet anyone like them, and I hope I never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.