Friday 23 August 2013

4.3.2.1. (3½ Stars)


This is a British crime thriller made in 2010 and directed by Noel Clarke. It features four girls in London, four friends who accidentally get mixed up in an international jewel robbery. It's structured like the 1999 film "Go". The same three days are shown four times, once from the standpoint of each of the girls. There are short sequences at the beginning and the end where they are all together and the story is only told once.

The film has had mixed reviews. Some people praise it exuberantly while others hate it. I think I can understand why. The film's structure, which is used more effectively than in "Go", is something that could amaze some people but annoy others. After watching it for the first time today I feel the need to see it again, but I think I'll wait a few months. That way it will be fresher, and apart from that I have so many other films on my to-watch list.

I never knew that Noel Clarke is a director. I know him from "Doctor Who", in which he played Rose's boyfriend Mickey. The Doctor always teased him for being unintelligent, and this impression stuck with me. It's so easy to typecast someone based on their screen performance, and in this case I was totally wrong. This film proves him to be a very talented director. And actor, because he appears in the film as the gangster Tee (Trevor). Other Doctor Who stars are reunited in the film. Camille Coduri appears as the mother of one of the girls, and Michelle Ryan plays the bad-ass gangster Kelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.