Sunday 23 June 2013

Jackie Brown (5 Stars)


This is doubtless one of my favourite films. Something about it touches me. Part of it is the music. I'm not aware of any other film that uses the Philly Sound as extensively as "Jackie Brown". Part of it is the fast talking dialog from Samuel L. Jackson, who is probably my favourite actor. But the film's biggest attraction is the stunningly beautiful Pam Grier in the title role. The film opens with her being displayed as she passes by on an airport's moving walkway, the modern world's equivalent of a pedestal. She is truly a Goddess among women. Even though she (unfortunately) doesn't discard any clothing, every time she appears on the screen she sends a thrill through me.

The Blu-ray that I watched today contains a discussion between film critics that took place 14 years after the film's initial release. All five of them are enthusiastic about the film. They describe it as a "sleeper", a film whose quality only becomes apparent with time. I can see what they mean. Although it was a box office success, it made less money than Quentin Tarantino's other films. It only received one Oscar nomination, namely for Robert Forster as best supporting actor. (Wasn't he the film's main male actor?) Both critics and fans have needed years to warm to the film. It's a lot more mellow than the usual Tarantino style. There's much less violence and there are no over-the-top action sequences. It's a film that speaks to the heart. It's a poignant love story, about a love which never quite reaches fruition.

Beautiful. Click here to read my last review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.