Saturday 28 July 2012

General: Where have all the readers gone?

This is something that's been on my mind for a long time. My readership figures, as reported by Google, fluctuate a lot. For the past nine months I've averaged around 90 readers a day, which I was happy with. Then suddenly, on June 29th, the number fell to 28. And then 24. And the number has been under 30 ever since. It seems strange to me that my readership figures fell by two thirds in one day. It doesn't seem like a natural loss of readers. Maybe Google changed its algorithms so I haven't been featured so high on the search pages any more? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Not that I want the numbers to be high for the sake of it. I want to know how many people are really reading my blog. 30 a day is a good number if they are real readers. I often suspect that people come to my page by accident. They do a search for a film they want to download, Google sends them to me, then they curse when they find it's only a review. Shucks, I'm sorry I don't support global film piracy!

The best way for me to know that my blog is being read is by readers leaving comments. So please, tell me what you think about the films I review. I know that my reviews are often very brief. Deliberately. I don't always have a lot to say about a film. If you want to know more ask me a question. I read all the comments in my blog, and I reply to almost all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.