Thursday 12 April 2012

The Initiation of Sarah (3 Stars)

I'm reviewing the 2006 version of this film. It's a remake of a 1978 horror film that fans refer to as a classic, but I've never seen it and it's no longer available on DVD. Since I'm unable to make a comparison I'll have to restrict myself to this film.

Lindsey and Sarah are twin sisters going to college. There are a row of sorority houses to choose from, all identified by three Greek letters. I wonder where this custom originated, it seems strange to me as a non-American. The two oldest sorority houses on campus, Alpha Nu Gamma and Pi Epsilon Delta, both want the two girls as pledges. As the film progresses we find out that these two sorority houses are actually two covens that have been at war for thousands of years. Lindsey pledges to Alpha Nu Gamma, while Sarah pledges to Pi Epsilon Delta, and they're no longer allowed to talk to one another.

I have to say, this hardly seems like a horror story. The supernatural elements are rarely scary. The film would have been better if not for Summer Glau who plays Lindsey. Her acting is so wooden that she is unconvincing throughout, whether she's supposed to be happy or sad. She's awful, she walks through the film like an inhuman Terminator. I would have rated the film lower than 3 stars if not for the stunning performances by the other actresses, especially Jennifer Tilly and Tessa Thompson. Jennifer Tilly is an actress I'd like to see more of. She has a smoldering sexuality in an understated way, a sexual aura that she generates as soon as she enters a scene without needing to take her clothes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.