Monday 23 April 2012

Clash of the Titans [Guest Writer] (5 Stars)


Princess Andromeda (Alexa Davalos) is the daughter of King Cepheus, who has gained a victory against the gods. The vengeful god of the underworld, Hades (Ralph Fiennes), demands that Andromeda is offered as a sacrifice or he will unleash the Kraken against Argos. A desperate King Cepheus asks demi-god Perseus (Sam Worthington) to find a way to defeat the Kraken. Perseus accepts the challenge because Hades was responsible for his family's death. He discovers that the way to kill the Kraken lies with getting the head of the gorgon Medusa.

I absolutely love movies that have to do anything with Greek Mythology and loved this movie to bits and pieces. This movie made me a huge fan of Sam Worthington and his work and it didn't hurt that it had some other favorites of mine - Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson. The story was engaging although I do admit that Sam's character annoyed me with his stubborn pride that constantly put the other supporting characters' lives in danger but I suppose that he can't help the way his character was written. The action and special effects scenes were very fantastical and really kept me on the edge of my seat and it even had a bit of romance for the ladies although it definitely wasn't a main subplot of the movie. It seems as if they had all their bases covered to appeal to the masses so kudos to them for that. This is definitely a movie I would recommend for action and fantasy lovers.

(I thought I had already done a review on this but perhaps I was wrong since I couldn't find it. If anyone else out there finds it, let me know. Sometimes I feel old and senile which is ridiculous at my age but oh well. Ha!)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Kaylena. Unfortunately you didn't answer my main question about this film: how does it compare with the 1981 original, which I absolutely love?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been able to muster up the energy to want to watch the original. I enjoy classic movies as much of the next person although they tend to run more toward musicals, comedies, and the occasional romantic comedy. When I see it I'll let you know what I think but don't hold your breath on it. Haha. Once I see a new version I feel like any older versions wouldn't be able to compare in the same league because of the differences between the times, not saying it's good or bad but it definitely leaves something more to be desired when I end up comparing the two and find the first lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you've never seen the original. It's universally appreciated as a classic, and it's often shown on television, in England at least. For some reason the Ray Harryhausen films, in particular "Clash of the Titans" and "Jason and the Argonauts", are always shown round about Easter. I don't see the logic in that.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.