Monday 23 April 2012

Chocolate [Guest Writer] (5 Stars)

The Story...

When Zin (Ammara Siripong), former girlfriend of a Thai mob boss, falls for Masashi (Hiroshi Abe), a Japanese gangster in Thailand, the boss banishes them: Masashi to Japan, and Zin, with her small daughter Zen (Jeeja Yanin - Raging Phoenix), to live next to a martial arts school. Zen is autistic, with uncanny swift reflexes. She watches the students next door and Kung Fu movies, absorbing every technique. She's now a teen, and her mother needs chemotherapy. Zin has taken in a chubby kid, Moom (Taphon Phopwandee), who watches over Zen. Moom finds a ledger listing business men who owe Zin money; he goes to them one at a time to collect in order to pay for Zin's treatment. Zen, with her martial skills, becomes his enforcer. A showdown with the boss is inevitable.

Wow. I was blown away by this story and had to watch it twice more after the first time. Jeeja Yanin also played the main role in Raging Phoenix, which I also did a review on here. I became a fan of hers after seeing that movie and when I saw this movie hosted on netflix, I had to see it and don't regret it a bit. From what I understand this movie was actually written with Jeeja in mind along with her skills. I wasn't the hugest fan of her character in the Raging Phoenix because I'm jut not a fan of spoiled characters but in this story it was the complete opposite and she did it equally as well. The plot feels like something that hasn't been done before - or at least I've yet to see something done with the same story - and it kept my attention throughout the movie. I will admit there were some slow moments where they wanted to have their dramatic moments and I'm not a fan of drama but it wasn't so bad as to make me want to skip forward. The stunts left me breathless and laughing in spots. A truly great and interesting film that I highly recommend to action and martial art movie lovers everywhere! It even had me crying at the end of the movie! I guess it's to be expected from the director of Ong Bak, another movie that I fell in love with and will be reviewing sooner or later so keep an eye out for that.

1 comment:

  1. I'd never heard of this film. I'll definitely look it up now. Incidentally, of all your posts this is the one read most. Just thought I'd tell you :)

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.