Wednesday 15 February 2012

Red Riding Hood (3½ Stars)


This is a 21st Century retelling of the traditional fairy tale. It's been compared with "Twilight", but I see more similarity with "Moby Dick". Valerie is a young woman who lives in a remote village. Every month at full moon they offer their best animal as a sacrifice to a wolf in return for their lives being spared. One month Valerie's sister is murdered by the wolf, breaking the truce, and the villagers decide to hunt it. But there's a connection between Valerie and the wolf. She's the only one who can speak to him. The wolf offers to leave the village forever if Valerie will leave with him.

The renowned wolf hunter Father Solomon is invited to the village to lead the hunt. He tells them that the wolf is actually one of the villagers, which makes the film a whodunnit. Everyone around Valerie becomes a suspect and is tortured to confess his guilt.

Click here to view the trailer.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was a good twist, one which my new favorite t.v. series (Once Upon a Time) took off with and went one step further (in the series the cloak keeps Red from transforming). The action sequences were decent and the wolf CGI wasn't too bad either.


    Side note: have you seen the t.v. series Dead Like Me? If not I recommend it only two seasobs I think, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen "Dead like me", but you're not the first person to recommend it to me. Maybe I should check it out.

    Thanks for your comments, Lyza. You should become a "follower" of my blog and you'll know when I update it. Which is almost every day.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.