Wednesday 28 December 2011

Source Code (4 Stars)


This is another film already reviewed by my guest writer, Kay. You can find her review here.

The film opens with a man travelling on a train to Chicago flirting with a pretty young girl. But something is wrong. His name is Colter Stevens, but she insists on calling him Sean. When he looks into a mirror he sees an unfamiliar face. Then the train explodes, and he wakes up in an enclosed capsule in a military facility. He's told that it's his mission to travel back in time using a programmed virtual reality -- the "Source Code" -- and find out who planted the bomb which has already killed hundreds of passengers. He can only travel back for eight minutes. When the time is up he returns to the present and has to start again. While Colter's bosses just want him to identify the terrorist and prevent him killing again, Colter is more interested in finding a way to save the people in the virtual reality.

I agree with Kay that the film is excellent. I loved it. Until the end. I don't want to say too much because it would be a big spoiler for a relatively new film. I'll just say that it was totally illogical that the virtual reality suddenly became the real reality. The computer program mystically became able to change events in the past. This left me with a feeling of dissatisfaction when the film ended and loses the film a whole star.

1 comment:

  1. The ending was indeed odd, though I suppose with the supposed "dimension altering" the machine does makes some sense in the concept. It's still odd though, but I really enjoy this movie

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.