Wednesday 5 October 2011

Wanted [Guest Writer] (5 Stars)


A young man finds out his long lost father is an assassin. When his father is murdered, the son is recruited into his father's old organization and trained by a man named Sloan (Morgan Freeman) to follow in his dad's footsteps.

The anxious, clumsy and abused office clerk Wesley Allan Gibson (James McAvoy) has a hell and boring routine life: his obese boss humiliates him all the time and his girlfriend betrays him with his colleague and best friend during working period. When he meets the sexy Fox (Jolie), Wesley is informed that his father was a professional killer that belonged to an ancient organization called Fraternity and killed by the skilled and powerful Cross, a hit-man that has betrayed the Fraternity. Wesley learns that his anxiety actually is a manifestation of his latent abilities and he joins the society under the command of Sloan. Trained by Fox, he changes his personality and attitude, being prepared to face the dangerous Cross and find a hidden secret.

What more can a girl ask for in her movies? Action - check. Smexiness - double check. Intense scenes that keep you on the edge of your seat - check, check and check. I'm so glad that they discovered McAvoy and he's fast becoming one of my favorite actors if he continues to keep up these performances. I've never been the hugest fan of Jolie but she does an alright imitation of a mute (she's not actually mute she's just super anti-social) but she plays these roles the best I think - bad-ass chick with a chip on her shoulder. Freeman is just 5 star all the way for me in nearly every movie he plays in and this is really no exception even though his part isn't quite as large as some of his others even though...well I don't want to give away any spoilers but considering what his character is supposed to be in relation to the lead I think it was a bit underwhelming even if his acting skills were still on par. The whole story behind this movie is really intriguing and we start out in sympathy with the lead character. I mean who can't sympathize with someone who's life is as pathetic as that and shout with righteousness as we see him gain his own power throughout the movie and get a bit of his own back to triumph over the day? Honestly that's what dreams are made of and it lets us live vicariously through McAvoy. Truly a great film and will be going in my top 20 list if not my top 10! Bravo!

1 comment:

  1. I watched this a few years ago, when it was first released on DVD. I rented it and wasn't particularly impressed. I can't even remember much about it. Maybe I should give it another chance.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.