Monday 26 September 2011

Paul (5 Stars)


I was sure I'd already reviewed this film. I saw it in the cinema earlier this year when it was released. I must have forgotten. I'm slacking.

An incredibly funny film, as only the creative team of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost can make it. Each one is funny by himself, but together they're nothing short of genial. They play two comic book fans from England who go to the comic book convention in San Diego. While touring before returning home they pick up a hitchhiker called Paul. Paul is an alien who's been kept prisoner by the American government for 60 years. Pursued by FBI agents, rednecks and gun-toting Bible bashers they flee northwards. Hilarious. Five stars. My fullest recommendation to my readers.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on this, it was hilarious. I love the movies that Simon and Nick have done and their humor really resonates in a slapstick silly way that lets you really just relax and enjoy the stupid. [laughs] I thought it was interesting that Seth Rogen (voice of Paul) was actually funnier playing a CGI character than any other role I have seen him play in person. Makes me wonder what that is all about but really the movie is enjoyable and gives you a lot of laughs. I don't think it's for anyone looking for something intellectual or truly deep so if that's the case you may want to steer clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever the team of Pegg and Frost touches turns to gold. There's a lot of nerdy pseudo-intellectual humour in the film. In jokes for sci-fi freaks and comic fans. A great film, but I like "Hot Fuzz" even more. Another film worth watching (without Simon Pegg) is "The Boat That Rocked"

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.