Tuesday 6 September 2011

Aimee & Jaguar (2 Stars)


This is a true story based on the autobiography of Lilly Wust. She's a woman living in Berlin in the middle of the air raids in the later days or World War Two. She's married to a soldier fighting on the Russian front, but in his absence she's having affairs with other men. One day in 1943 she meets and falls in love with a beautiful woman, Felice Schragenheim, who works for a Nazi newspaper. Unknown to her Felice is a Jew who is pretending to be a loyal German in order to pass information to the resistance.

While I don't doubt that the film is accurate, the background seems absurd to the modern viewer. In the middle of wartime Berlin there's a group of lesbian Jews who are still living the lifestyle of 1930's German decadence, but in their own homes, not in clubs or cabarets. Even after the second viewing it was difficult for me to comprehend. I'll give it 2 stars for now, but I might raise the rating next time I watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.