Saturday 13 August 2011

Slumdog Millionaire (5 Stars)


This is a film that I expect that most of my readers have already seen, so I can make comments without fear of giving away spoilers. It's a stunning film on so many different levels. I could be cynical and say that I'm surprised that it swept the Academy Awards in 2009 because it was too good to win an Oscar.

A young teenager from the slums of India goes on the quiz show "Who wants to be a millionaire?" not because he wants the money, but to gain the attention of his childhood love Latika who watches the show. Surprisingly he answers all the questions correctly and is accused of cheating. The film then tells his life story to explain how he learnt the answers. Each question in the quiz is related to a section of his life.

A visually beautiful film, well acted, with a deep plot that impresses the viewer even after watching it repeatedly. Five stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.