Saturday 13 August 2011

Off-Topic: Terror Attacks Olympic Games 2012


I usually refrain from political comments in this blog. I write about films. But that isn't the only thing I think about all day, and this is the only blog I have to express my thoughts in, so if you're only reading this to hear about films please forgive me while I pull out my soapbox.

On Thursday I watched the live broadcast of the UK prime minister David Cameron answering questions in parliament about the riots in England. It was disgraceful. Politicians of all parties asked if he should take the riots as proof that England doesn't have enough police, but in most cases he avoided answering the questions directly, making it clear towards the end of question time that he is committed to further reducing England's police force over the next 12 months; he claims that a smaller police force can be more effective than a large police force, because police can be moved around the country to where they're needed.

Next year London will be hosting the Olympic Games. In today's political climate, following the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, that's painting a big bullseye on England's capital. Cameron knows that, so his plan will be to bring thousands of policemen from other parts of the country to keep order and react to attacks. A smart terror organisation can plan for this. There are targets all over the country they can attack, and the lack of police will leave them vulnerable.

Ideally a small attack can be made in London at the beginning of the games. This will make Cameron panic and send even more police to London. Then a series of large attacks can be made simultaneously in other cities. In the ensuing chaos police will be sent back from London to deal with the aftermath. As the police leave the capital London can be hit again, repeatedly and hard, making Munich 1972 look like a children's game.

There's a slim chance that Cameron will make a U-Turn and recruit 100,000 more police officers before next year. But I doubt he has the intellect to see sense. Next year England will be burning, London 2012 will be declared the most disastrous Olympics ever, and I'll be shaking my head saying "I told you so".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.