Thursday 10 March 2011

Confucius (4 Stars)


This is a biography of the Chinese philosopher Confucius, from the middle of his life till his death. Although the film has generally received rave reviews, I felt unsatisfied watching it, feeling that something was missing. I was missing a bridge to the real man. Having grown up in Europe I know almost nothing about who Confucius really was, and the film does little to answer my questions. He was a commoner, whose wisdom led him into a career in politics. Betrayed by rulers jealous of his influence he became an exile. In his old age he returned to his home town and became a teacher. Those are the facts behind his life. But do I know Confucius the man? I think not. The next time I watch this film I need to sit with someone from China to explain its details to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.