Friday 18 February 2011

Bikini Summer 3 (4 Stars)

I've received some criticism about the choice of films I review and the ratings I give them. I give Alfred Hitchcock classics like "The Birds" a 3½ star rating, then I give trashy films like this a 4.

Let me start off by saying that I review the films I watch. I don't go out of my way to review films just because they're new or popular or a classic. Whatever film I see in the cinema, on DVD or online is reviewed here. Usually I pick my own films, but if I watch a film on television at someone else's house it will get a review here. That's why most of my ratings are above average. I only watch what I like or expect I'll like.

My tastes are very varied. I don't consider myself a snob when it comes to cinema. I don't stick to a particular genre. Big budget, low budget, American, foreign, I'll watch anything if I think it's good.

And that brings me to trashy films like "Bikini Summer 3". Films like this are enjoyable if they're taken in the context of what they're supposed to be. The film makers and the actors are the last to make any claims that they're making a "classic" with any high social value. They've made a film with pretty girls in bikinis, a splash of comedy and romance, sunny locations and a happy ending. Sit down and forget the world around you while you watch this film. If the film makes you feel good it's achieved its purpose. If that doesn't deserve a high rating what does?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.