Sunday 7 November 2010

The World's Fastest Indian (5 Stars)

If ever a film deserved more than 5 stars, this is it. Anthony Hopkins calls this the best film he's starred in, and it's doubtless one of the best films ever made.


This is the true story of the New Zealander motorcyclist Burt Munro and his first trip to the United States in 1962 to attempt to set a new land speed record. His determination to succeed when everything is against him is an inspiration to everyone. He is a hero in the truest meaning of the word. But the film isn't just made great by Anthony Hopkins' performance. The supporting characters all dazzle with their depths of personality and often their weirdness. They are like vibrant splashes of colour in an oil painting, emphasising the central motif, Burt and his bike.

Whatever your tastes are in films, you will enjoy "The World's Fastest Indian". It will make you want to laugh and cry at the same time. But most of all, when the final credits roll you will close your eyes and feel glad to be alive. This is a film that can inspire hope. If you think I'm exaggerating with my praise, check the reviews on Amazon's web site (click the picture above) and you will find words from more than 300 people who agree with me.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this movie!!!!!!!!! I guess the mark of a great actor is being able to go from totally evil and depraved to the nicest guy in the world and be completely believable in both roles. I have always thought Anthony Hopkins was wonderful, but this movie and the backstory (he went to quite a bit of trouble to get it to happen and be in it) is so heartwarming. It shows that ordinary people are capable of great things, and the power of perseverance. Twelve million bums way up!

    I thought The Bear was a great movie too. I think that was the name of it, where Anthony Hopkins and a couple of other guys are in a plane crash in the middle of nowhere and are attacked by a big honking bear. The other guy (Alec Baldwin?) is bonking Hopkin's wife and tries to kill him towards the end. Great movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen "The Bear". Thanks for the recommendation. Anthony Hopkins will always be remembered for his role as Hannibal Lecter, but this film is better. I don't understand why it's hardly known, since everyone who sees it loves it. One girl that I recommended it to says it's her favorite film now. Hardly surprising.

    Twelve million bums up? I don't think I could even survive twelve. Or five. Not even one, depending on whose it is. I hope I can keep writing about films to keep your bum up where it belongs!

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.