Saturday 2 October 2010

On The Buses (5 Stars)


Empire Magazine recently called "On The Buses" the nadir of Hammer Films. I give it 5 stars. Why the big difference in opinion?

Hammer had a reputation for making very good gothic horror films in the 1960's. I agree that they were some of the best horror films ever made. My guess is that the Empire reviewer judged "On the Buses" against those films. That's not just unfair, it's impossible. How can you compare a comedy with horror films?

Judging this film on its own merit, it's a comedy masterpiece. The sequels don't live up to the quality of the first film, but they are still excellent samples of British humour. Though filmed in 1971, the film has a distinct mid-sixties atmosphere, both the clothing and the sexism. This is a film that I'd recommend to anyone who likes comedy.

However, it's another example of the inequality of British and American DVD prices. In England I bought a box set containing the three "On The Buses" films for £5.50. In America the films are sold separately for $25 each. Please, can someone tell me what's wrong with prices in America?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.